As online businesses become more commonplace, the necessity to make websites accessible to all types of people becomes more significant. This includes those with disabilities, seniors and anyone else who may have difficulty accessing or using a website. To ensure this, an ADA compliance website is essential for businesses to maintain.
ADA compliance is a civil rights law known as the Americans with Disabilities Act, which was passed in 1990. This federal law makes it illegal to discriminate against people with disabilities, and it also provides regulations for businesses to ensure that all customers have equal access to services and products. By creating an ADA compliant website, businesses can ensure that those with disabilities can access their website and utilize its features.
Benefits of an ADA Compliant Website
ADA compliance websites help ensure that businesses are providing customers with disabilities with a fair and accessible website. This type of website is designed with specific features and content that allow customers with disabilities to access the website and its services. Some of the benefits an ADA compliant website provides customers with disabilities include:
- Improved Accessibility: An ADA compliant website can provide customers with disabilities improved accessibility. This includes the use of alt text for images, keyboard navigation, larger font sizes and more.
- Increased Accessibility to Products and Services: ADA compliant websites can provide customers with disabilities with improved access to the products and services offered by a business. This can include larger product images and more detailed descriptions, as well as the ability to access the website with a screen reader.
An ADA compliant website can also help businesses increase their customer base. Customers with disabilities often make up a large portion of the population, but they may not be aware of a business’s products and services if the website is not ADA compliant. An ADA compliant website can help businesses reach out to this population and increase their customer base.
ADA Compliant Website Features
An ADA compliant website should include specific features to ensure that customers with disabilities have equal access to the website and its content. Some of the features that an ADA compliant website should include are:
- Alt Text for Images: Alt text is important for ADA compliant websites as it helps customers with visual impairments understand the content of an image.
- Keyboard Navigation: Keyboard navigation ensures that customers with motor impairments can navigate the website. This includes access to menus and links via a keyboard, as well as the ability to tab through content.
- Transcripts for Audio and Video: Transcripts can be used to provide customers with hearing impairments with the same information that is available in audio and video content.
- Larger Font Sizes: Larger font sizes are essential for customers with visual impairments, and an ADA compliant website should include larger font sizes for text.
These features and more can help customers with disabilities access the content and services on an ADA compliant website. It is important for businesses to ensure that their website is ADA compliant in order to provide customers with disabilities equal access to their products and services. Our ADA Website Compliance widget takes care of all of these problems!
Creating an ADA compliant website is an essential part of providing customers with disabilities equal access to the products and services of a business. An ADA compliant website should include features such as alt text for images, keyboard navigation, transcripts for audio and video, and larger font sizes. By ensuring that their website is ADA compliant, businesses can reach a broader customer base, as well as ensure that those with disabilities can access their website and utilize its features.
If you need your website to be ADA Compliant, we can do it for less! Contact us at: https://usgovcompliance.com